Search This Blog

Monday 15 April 2013

Studio Ghibli Season conclusion

Been caught up trying madly to get back on top of my experimental animation that I neglected to finish off my Ghibli posts!

Right, one thing I have noticed in particular over the past few years is that each time the Ghibli season comes on Film 4 (the poor mans Blockbuster's selection on shuffle) more of the Ghibli films are being shown in their English-dubbed versions.

Not that I'm complaining, no subtitles means I can devote more of my brain to the film itself, but even so, I get the feeling that since the release of 'Ponyo', the UK has become a lot more receptive to the studio ghibli collection, to the point where their movies are being shown at prime-time slots rather than in the dead of night after another action-thriller.

Its interesting to see the studio getting the credit it deserves for its brilliant films, although it just goes to show how hard it is for people in the mainstream culture to get exposure to films from other countries (America not included). The painstaking lengths me and my friends went to in order to track own our desired Ghibli collection films all these years, and suddenly, its like they've become available overnight. And slightly more affordable as well.

Perhaps its a knock on effect of our cultures definate tilt towards 3D animation as the main technique for big screen films, the backlash causing everyone to scurry for the best of 2D animation in movie form. You only need to watch a supermarket advert to see just how well Disney 'classics' are doing (I once went in and found them for sale at £15 EACH!).

Either way, I'm just happy to see the Ghibli's back on screen and still going strong. Definately looking forward to the next Film 4 studio Ghibli season.


No comments:

Post a Comment